Note from Bill Kells on October 23, 2000: ---------------------------------------- Hi Keith, Ahead of tomorrow's E2 meeting (I had initially intended to disseminate this to ~team leaders, but leave it to your discretion), and since you explicitly enquired about recombination running, let me update on that. I spent some time in the last few weeks at LHO, looking into recomb locking the ifo. This was relatively easy at the 40m, but was certainly aided by the fact that the RM there was ~4x more transmissive than the LIGO 2k. We would probably lock via: RefQ->l- ; RefI->L+ ;and ASQ->L-. The crucial prerequisites then are to see if the LHO 2k SM, and single arms can be locked with RefQ, and RefI alone. This I have established, can be done reliably. Based on that, I predict that recomb. locking will be straighforward. However, as I would have expected, I have not actually accomplished such a lock (simple by aligning the arms and turning the loops on with predicted phases). This is because, it is necessary for the l- loop to have its sign changed upon incipient two arm locking. So, if it is desired to have recombination lock for the E2 it will be necessary to do a little work: to either write a very simple acquisition input matrix which just flips this sign, or to modify Matt Evan's full acquisition matrix so it only does this (predicted to be possible). Then, as with anything, a few hours of run time will be needed to check it all out. Bill